Sunday, June 26, 2011

You Are What You Eat

I subscribe to the old saw, “You are what you eat”.  New cells are being created and nourished in our bodies all the time, and the only “raw material” that those cells can be built from is the food we eat.  I suppose we do absorb some things through our respiratory systems.  Nicotine and some inhaled medications, glaucoma relief, for instance, come to mind.  Also things can be absorbed through the skin, a concept that I’m always acutely aware of when swimming in a public pool or even a lake into which all the upstream cities have dumped their treated (I hope) waste.  But, primarily it’s the food we eat.  Logically though, if you are what you eat and you eat chicken, then you are also what the chicken ate.  Now, as a keeper of chickens, I have seen chickens eat some pretty disgusting things.  That is why I hate (love) talking about myself and especially what I’m made of.
While there may be some disgusting aspects to my composition, lately I have been making an effort to diminish that part and accentuate the positive.  I joined Weight Watchers in February.  Joined may not be completely accurate.  Bought my way into is more like it, but let’s not cloud the positive results with miserly carping.  Expensive as it may be, but probably no more than other programs, the results have been satisfying.  I have received an education in nourishment and an appreciation of dietary balance that has resulted in significant weight loss.  You probably already know the secrets, but here they are: more fiber and less fat, lots of protein and less empty carbohydrates, smaller portions, eat more often, but not between meal snacks. 
Even though I have not seen cattle eating the disgusting things that chickens eat, I have reduced my consumption of red meat and switched primarily to poultry and fish.  Not because I had to.  I never thought I’d say this, but because I just don’t crave meat as much anymore.  I’ve lowered my cholesterol and avoided or at least postponed diabetes monitoring and treatment.  There is now 10% less of me to love and while that may dismay many (nobody) I get a thrill every time I have to punch a new hole in my old belt.   I will probably wear it until I start tripping on the fraying excess.   While there is less of me, more of  what ‘s left is lettuce and cottage cheese instead of disgusting chicken food.  Oh, and don’t forget the fish.  I wonder what they eat?

No comments: